Friday, April 2, 2010

Reading Week -- Um, Not Exactly

Last week was Eden's "Reading Week" and presumably a time when we were to continue to reflect on our studies and our growth over the last few months.  Having now emerged on the other side of Reading Week, I think it's been woefully misrepresented.  I would think that "Writing Week" or "Lack of Sleep Week" might have been better characterizations of how I and many of my fellow seminarians spent our time.

I had two mid-term papers due--one on the use of exegetical methods on Matthew, Mark and Luke-Acts and the other on the impact of Judaism on Christianity. These came on the heels of another mid-term paper concerning church history up through the time of the Reformation that was due before break even started.  In addition, I had another assessment paper to produce as well as a journal entry on Christian social ethics as it related to slavery and freedom in the time of Enlightenment.  Lest I had too much time on my hands, I also had a sermon to prepare, a Lenten study lesson to review for teaching as well as regular readings and small group preparations to do for when I returned to class.  I managed to do this while looking after two kids and two dogs while hubby was away during part of the week, not to mention the beginning of sport practices for my oldest daughter.

Truth is, I really enjoy the work I'm doing--I simply wish I had more time to savor it.  I long for the day that I'll have more time and more opportunities to reflect on what I'm learning as well as to be able to sit down and discuss these emerging thoughts with others.  Until that day...

Photo courtesy of:





No comments:

Post a Comment