Monday, August 22, 2011

I'm amazed at how much time can pass between posts. As I mentioned in my last entry, life tends to get in the way. But, as I also shared, that can be a good thing.

It wasn't long after my spring semester ended that I found myself facing CPE--otherwise known as Clinical Pastoral Education. This unit, which I took as a summer intensive unit, is something required by my denomination as I seek ordination as an elder in the United Methodist Church. I knew that I would learn things about myself and ministry and found that I was constantly being asked to stretch, grow, reflect, and evaluate every aspect of my ministry and service to others. It took a lot of energy to complete and, while I'm so fortunate to have completed the program, I'm also glad to a have a little time to breathe.

What made the summer even more interesting was the reality of having been appointed by the bishop to pastor a church on July 1. So, in the middle of CPE madness, I found myself leading a new faith community, trying to figure out where everything was at, meeting all the new members of my church family, preparing messages, conducting meetings, and walking with those who were ill and those who were mourning the loss of their loved ones.

While I wouldn't recommend trying to do both at the same time, I found that the Lord blessed that time just the same. The things that I was learning about myself and my ministry were things that I was able to call upon immediately. I was being equipped for the journey and that journey was now!

I have a moment of respite now before the fall semester gets underway. How grateful I am for the programs, the people, and the places that help to shape me as one to be used by God to serve others.  Great is His name and greatly to be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment